The Best Ways to WaterProof A Basement
Posted in Water Damage, on January 18, 2021 By admin
If you live in Toronto, you know that humidity is a part of daily life. Where there is humidity, water damage can be a common problem. With Toronto being within proximity to the Great Lakes, we are inundated with a humid continental climate and an abundance of water.
To avoid water damage in your basement, Torontonians should stay on top of repair and restoration services. New Toronto homeowners need to be extra careful noting if walls are cracked or damaged and/or made of porous materials. A moist basement can quickly become a major headache for Toronto homeowners due to the increased risk of mold and possible damage to stored items.
Why Are Basements Prone to Water Damage?
Building a house requires digging a hole 6-9 feet deep and wide enough to accommodate the foundation. After the footings and foundation are poured and the concrete is cured, the hole is refilled with soil. However, the density of the intact soil around the hole and the density of the soil that was displaced are not the same. Even with the best efforts, we cannot condense the soil as tightly as Mother Nature, considering she has the advantage of a few hundred years.
You can probably get the idea of what happens to this loose soil after some precipitation. Besides blaming Mother Nature, the top causes for water damage in Toronto can be the result of:
- Bad drainage system – If the drainage system is installed poorly or gets clogged, rainwater and melting snow can flood the foundation
- Look at the slope – For the water to drain away, your home needs to be built on an adequate slope. Without it, the water will accumulate around the foundation
- Condensation – Basement floor and walls usually have a cooler temperature, so when they meet warm indoor air during the heating season, condensation occurs
- Damaged building material – Water can easily get through the cracks and end up inside
How to Waterproof a Basement?
The best way to prevent water damage in your basement is to waterproof it. There are three simple ways to waterproof your basement properly:
- Exterior waterproofing – A waterproof sealant is added to the outer basement walls. If installed properly, this barrier can last as long as the basement itself. This method includes excavating the soil around the foundation, which is quite labour-intensive and expensive unless done during construction.
- Interior waterproofing – The easiest and most affordable way to keep the excess water out of your basement. It includes special sealants, which should cover the cracks in the building material and other potential entryways.
- Adding or improving drainage systems – Implementing a drainage system with pumps that will draw out the excess water.
Not all homes have the same moisture problems. The best method can vary in efficiency depending on the specific case. Consulting an expert in water damage, clean up, repair and restoration services will help you find the optimal waterproofing method for your home. If you are looking for a trusted, experienced professional near you, reach out to Water Damage Toronto. Our friendly staff is always ready to provide quality service and permanently solve your water damage problems.